February 2008

BANGKOK: — The Royal Thai Consulate in Penang is expected to impose stricter rules regarding the issuing of Tourist Visas.

Thaivisa.com have been advised that the Royal Thai Consulate-General in Penang as from TOMORROW, February 1 2008, will only issue Tourist Visas to those in possession of an air ticket departing from Thailand to an international destination not local in the same region. (i.e. not Vietnam, Malaysia or similar.)

It is believed that the reason for the tightening of the rules is to reduce the number of foreigners using tourist visas to stay long term in Thailand, and not for tourism purposes for which this visa is intended, therefore abusing the system.

Our source is from a reliable person, who normally provides us with accurate information, and we have no reason to doubt the accuracy of this information.

The new ticket rule is not officially confirmed as yet.

PHNOM PENH - THAILAND and Cambodia agreed on Monday to allow foreign tourists to enter on a single visa. ‘This means a tourist can get a visa either for Thailand or Cambodia and can visit the two nations,’ Cambodian Foreign Minister Hor Namhong said after signing the agreement with visiting Thai counterpart Nitya Pibulsonggram.

The deal was the first of a hoped for series also involving Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam, he said.

‘We want to see the five countries become one tourist destination,’ Mr Hor Namhong said.

Thailand is aiming to have 15 million foreign tourists this year while Cambodia had 1.7 million last year, most of whom visited the ancient Angkor temples.

Earlier this month, Air Finland began the first commercial direct flight between Europe and Cambodia, where the tourism industry is growing 25 per cent per year.

Monday, February 11, 2008

VICTORIA — The Thai wife of a Victoria-born oilfield worker is accused of having him killed as he slept in their home in Thailand by paying a gunman close to $2,000, according to Thai reports.

Dale Henry, 48, was killed by a gunshot to the head. Marie-Christine Lilkoff, a spokesperson for the Department of Foreign Affairs, confirmed Sunday that the killing took place Feb. 3. She was unable to provide further details of the case due to privacy concerns.



Went to a Visa service company in BKK recently to assist me in obtaining a non-Immigrant B multiple entry visa. Was told to mail all the completed paperwork provided to one of the Thai consulate in the USA. They said you need to leave the country as the Consulate will want to see the Thailand exit stamp. Furthermore they recommend it be mailed from and returned to a U.S. address. What I’m thinking of doing is going to Laos posting it to my friend in California and he will post for me to Houston. This I’m told will work and will take 2 weeks to get back to me?


Teaching overseas is the best way to combine great working conditions with living an exotic lifestyle. But it’s not without pitfalls for the unwary. I’m going to share a little story with you about how an experienced international teacher ended up having a really, really bad couple of days…
When you are getting ready to move overseas, you will definitely want to take a very close look at what kind of visa you need to get. Moving your teaching career abroad isn’t the same as going on holiday. You are not entering the country for tourism purposes, and most countries distinguish between tourism visas and, well, non-tourism visas!

You many need to get a non-immigrant visa, or a business visa or a working visa… there are many names and number designations that are country specific. For example, teachers who are moving to the United Kingdom require a working visa (or a working holiday visa if they’re under 30) but I needed a non-Immigrant B visa to enter Thailand to take up my post here.


Next Page »